Friday, August 7, 2015

AUTUMN BLUSH

Early Autumn in Richmond, ON  Photo by Sharon Law 
Cambridge Dictionary – Someone's autumn years are the later years of their life, especially after they have stopped working.
~~~
The years between fifty and seventy are the hardest. You are always being asked to do things, and yet you are not decrepit enough to turn them down. T.S. Eliot on Age and Aging, Time Magazine, October 23, 1950.
~~~
Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.  F. Scott Fitzgerald

***
I named my publishing company 3rd Season. The characters in my novels, for the most part, are 55 Plus—in their autumn years. I am in the autumn of my years, the third season. Of the three definitions above, I liken myself to the one by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Life did start all over again for me when life turned crisp as it became fall.

My education and career path were in numbers but my passion was always words. As the autumn of my life approached I felt the need to put away the numbers and bring out the words. I shed my coat of black and white and burst forth with new energy in a coat of many colours. The colours of autumn. T.S. Eliot is right about one thing, I am not decrepit. I will argue with him though about the years between fifty and seventy (or more) being the hardest. I love these years and I write about characters who love these years also. They are enjoying the crispness of fall, the invigorating freshness in the air, the vitality of the colours. Life is starting all over again for them and for me.


I consider myself retired as in no longer working. I am a writer. Writing is allowing me to be Peter Pan flying off to Neverland whenever I choose. Like him, I’m never going to grow old. I’m never going to give up this colourful season called autumn. And even though I’m into full bloom—red, gold, rust and yellow, I feel like I am still in the blush of autumn, one bright flair of colour in summer's path of green. 

No comments:

Post a Comment