Friday, August 14, 2015

AUTUMN YEARS - GOLDEN OR RUST

A friend recently told me her mother used to say, “You have to be tough to survive. The golden years can quickly become the rust years.”

The woman quoted was one of the most unrusty women I knew. She carried her age well and remained active in real estate well into her golden years. Frances was tough—she survived. No rust had settled on her when she passed at the age of 86.

We do everything we can to keep rust out of our “things”. We undercoat our cars and get regular oil changes. We lubricate our tools, windows and doors. We use water softeners to keep it out of our plumbing, dishwashers and laundry … but what do we do for our bodies, our minds? Are you allowing yourself to rust? Your body? Your mind?

The tools we use regularly are in much better shape than those left on the shelf in the basement. Why? Because their parts are constantly moved, cleaned and lubricated while the ones sitting on the shelf quickly show signs of aging. Their moving parts squeak and they leave a rust residue when picked up.

Our bodies and minds work the same way. Those who are active and take care of their joints remain rust free much longer than those who sit and watch. Are you a doer or a watcher? The mind must be used and challenged regularly as well. When you reached your autumn years and retired did you put your mind on the shelf? Even if your body is active on the golf course, swimming pool, bicycling or hiking trails, what are you doing to keep your mind active and rust free?

Why not challenge it by opening new paths for it to travel? Don’t allow your brain to become a watcher instead of a doer. Shake it up by sending it in a completely different direction to the one it’s been familiar with for the past 30 or 40 years. I dealt with numbers and predetermined procedures all my working life. When I retired I switched to working with words and unencumbered imagination. Complete opposite side of the brain. I also started reading more and challenging myself to fully understand what I was reading. I joined a critiquing group for writers—a real exercise in getting into the heart and soul of a story, including my own. I wrote and published three novels. Two more are almost ready. Of course writing and publishing the novels is only the beginning. Heavy duty marketing follows. Then more writing.

My mind is relatively rust free but recently my body parts have started squeaking a little. Rust? I hope not. Time to step away from my computer and lubricate my joints. Maybe I’ll walk from the supermarket to the library today. Good idea. That will take care of my body and my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment